Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Review: When the Moon Was Ours

When the Moon Was Ours When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Okay, I've finally have had enough time to think about how this book left such an amazing impression on me. I was able to finish this beauty in one sitting, because I simply could not put it down. The words just flowed from the page so perfectly, that I didn't realize how quickly I had come to the middle of the book. I was lucky enough to win a copy in a giveaway and I'm so happy that I did.

I have always love magical realism and this book is the very definition of it. You have a boy who loves to create stars and moons, and then you have a girl who appeared out of a water tank one night. Already they are perfection. Sam and Miel are just so perfect together. I love the way they are just so in sync with each other. I love how they've come to accept each other for who they truly are and not for what the world thinks they should be.

Then we have Sam's mom and Miel's guardian who are probably one of the most supportive peoples I've had the pleasure to read about in this small town. Don't even get me started on the Bonner sisters. Part of me didn't want to like them in the beginning, but how could I not? They were so perfectly un-perfect from the image they want their town to see and Miel and Sam give such different insights on them that it's hard not to relate to these beautiful girls.

I loved everything about this book.
A boy in the wrong body,
A girl with roses growing from her wrist,
A girl who likes girls more than she likes boys,
A girl who is smarter than everyone thinks,
Thats just some of these amazingly diverse characters. This whole book is pure magic.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment